It is extremely difficult and almost impossible for every marketer to know his audience or customers personally. At the same time, it’s also very crucial for him to know the characteristics of his audience to ensure that he can meet the demands of his audience.
What if you were able to learn more about your customers and group them as per their characteristics and behaviour patterns online?
Facebook makes this possible by a functionality called audience insights. Facebook breaks audience insights in 4 steps:
- Build: Create Audience Insights based on Facebook users, your fans or Custom Audiences.
- Find : Narrow your audience based on demographics and behaviours.
- Compare: Learn about things like the lifestyle, education level and job title of your audience.
- Target: Save your audience to use it for later for ad targeting.
To open audience insights go to Facebook, on the left hand side you will see Ads Manager/ Create Adverts.
Create Adverts > Tools > Audience Insights. You will first start with building an audience.
1. Build :
When you click on “Audience insights” you will get a screen that has details about US users only. For creating new audiences click on “Create New” and you will get a screen with 2 tabs as shown above. These 2 tabs are:
- Everyone on Facebook – This will give you the audience split for entire Facebook
- People Connected to Your Page – this will give you the split of Facebook fans for your page specifically.
You can use various filters and customize your audience! That’s a part of your Step 2.
2. Find :
You can filter your audience from the left hand side based on the following:
- Age and Gender
- Advanced (Demographics and Behaviours)
Let’s look at each of them in detail:
- Location: Add countries, region or cities to further refine your results.
- Age and Gender: You can narrow down your results by age and gender.
- Interests: Focus only on people who have particular interests. They have many options for interests such as business and industry, food and drink, family and relationships, etc. For example, if you own a restaurant and you want to narrow down your search to people who could be your potential audience, you can select the food and drink option and from there the restaurants sub-option. This makes it easier to target your audience.
- Connections: Break down the people connected (or not connected) to your page, app or event. You can develop different marketing strategies for the people who are already connected to your page and those who you need to get connected to your page.
- Advanced: This is absolutely amazing stuff and nothing could make it easier to know your audience better. Imagine if you owned an apparel brand! Wouldn’t it be so much easier to target users if you knew about their work, education, life events, income, etc. Here’s how you can filter:
- Behaviours: Same found in advanced ad targeting
- Relationship Status: Single, In a Relationship, Engaged, Married
- Education: High School, College, Grad School
- Work: Job Titles and Office Types
- Financial: Income and Net Worth
- Home: Home Type, Home Ownership and Home Value
- Market Segments: Ethnic Affinity, Generation and Household Composition
- Parents: Age of Child
- Politics (US): Conservative, Liberal, Non-Partisan
- Life Events: Away From Family, New Job, etc.
- More Categories
3. Compare :
You can view your results in six main categories within Audience Insights. This will help you to compare your audience to the typical Facebook user.
Age and Gender
View the composition of your audience based on Age and Gender.
Relationship status and education level
- Page Likes
View the composition of your audience based on the Top Categories of pages liked and actual pages liked
View the top Cities, Countries and Languages.
You can compare your audience to the typical Facebook user in terms of the activities on Facebook.
We can also know about the kind of devices which our audiences are using.
Wouldn’t it be amazing if you could know whether your potential customers rent or own their home? What if you could know about their income level? Insights makes it possible here…
You can also know the number of family members in a house. In case you know the kind of household/area (value of house) they live in, different type of services can be marketed to these customers.
Different offers can be pushed to the customers who have particular spending habit. i.e. whether the customer spends more with cash or credit card.
The purchase behaviour part will give you an idea about the kind of category your fans shop from. E.g. if you have a cosmetic product and you want to target it to only those who buy products from that category, it is possible now.
Automobile / ancillary / accessory makers can also push products on the basis of kind of vehicles customers are planning to buy. Interesting isn’t it? It also means if a car is going to be purchased then other services such as vehicle insurance will also be required.
4. Target :
So we finally have all the information needed, but what next? Firstly, you can save an audience for later use by clicking the Save link at the top
Later, you can access that saved audience by clicking the Open link at the top.
Within Power Editor, any audience you save here will then appear within Power Editor under Saved Target Groups.When creating an ad, you need to simply click on the Use Existing Targeting Group button during the Audience step. Facebook will then pre-fill targeting based on your Audience settings.Also, you can create your own custom audience. All you need to do is go to Create Adverts, once the Adverts Manager opens click on Audiences in the Tools drop down menu. You can then select Custom Audience under the Create Audience option.